Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The chemise/slip is nearing completion..

Wow, I am just so happy. My pattern alterations were pretty close to being a perfect fit. I just need to tweak the center back seam a bit before applying the trims.♦

I am always going to need to accommodate the small back and the sway back issue. That's the one thing I did not account for since the back pattern pieces were cut on the bias. I am going to post the picture of the almost completed chemise tonight.

Yay!! I can finally start the coat this week. I will need to take a picture of the pattern and the fabrics that I want to use for the two versions..

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Here is the first version of the New Look six gore skirt. The fabric is a pretty good color match for the top. It is just not to my taste. To me this version screams," Pep squad/ cheerleader skirt."

I love this top! The fabric was a find at Far Out fabrics over on Haight St. It was the easiest fabric to sew- a stunning Swiss cotton knit. I just have to find the perfect fabric for a coordinating skirt/slacks.
Posted by Picasa
Here is the close up view of the fabric and haberdashery items for the chemise.
The trims and the fabrics are from some of my favorite stores in San Francisco- Satin Moon Fabrics, Fabrix and The Ribbonerie.

The violet picot edged trim is temporarily basted to the ivory rococo foofy item, which is going to be attatched to the mere schmere satin ribbon. This is what will be surrounding the novelty china silk on the bodice.
Posted by Picasa
Well I wanted to post the picture of the New Look skirt. So here it is out of the "ugly fabric" from Pattern Review Weekend in Portland.

I love it so much more than the first go around. Using fabric with better drape makes such a difference.

I did a nifty job with the invisible zipper, it is probably the best invisible zipper application ever.

It has been finished Since July 12th. I wore it out to dinner with some incredible friends who invited me out to Yoshi's to see Kurt Elling. It was a wonderful evening of delicious music and melodic food.
Posted by Picasa
The latest project that I am working on ( along with the coat that I have not started yet) is this bias slip from this Butterick pattern. It is OOP (out of Print) and another purchase from online.

I am moving right along with it. Last night, I figured out how to make do with a few trims and ribbon from the stash, instead of making a trek out to Fabrix over on Clement St. in search of a flat lace that would suffice. It is going to turn out beautifully. I have to admit sewing bias to bias can be tricky on the side seams so I am going to hand baste it to some thin pattern paper first.

I hand stitched the violet picot trim to the rococo trim and then I am going to machine stitch it to the satin ribbon. It will make a lovely addition to the chemise.